DIFFER (Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research) is one of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) institutes and focuses on a multidisciplinary approach to energy research, combining physics, chemistry, engineering and materials science. The institute is based on two main strands, solar fuels for the conversion and storage of renewable energy and fusion-energy as clean and unlimited source of energy. DIFFER is developing and supporting a national network on fundamental energy research and is closely collaborating with academic institutions, research institutes and industry.
With increasing global interest in renewable energy technology given the backdrop of climate change, storage of electrical energy has become particularly relevant. Most sustainable technologies (e.g., wind and solar) produce electricity intermittently. Thus, converting electrical energy and base molecules (i.e., H2O, N2) into energy-rich ones (e.g. H2, NH3) or chemical feedstock (e.g. NO) is of paramount importance. While H2O splitting is compatible with renewable electricity, N2 fixation is currently dominated by thermally activated processes. This postdoctoral position will focus on the development and evaluation of plasma integrated electrochemical cells for nitrogen fixation in the frame of the H2020 project ORACLE. In our approach, water is converted to hydrogen or oxygen in the one electrode nitric oxide or ammonia is produced in the other electrode by the reaction of oxygen ions or protons transported via the electrolyte) with plasma-activated nitrogen species.
The research tasks are highly interdisciplinary and will perfectly align with emerging research lines and granted projects at DIFFER.
- Development and evaluation of solid oxide electrolysis cells with protonic or oxygen ion conductivity
- Electrode fabrication and physical-, chemical- and structural characterization (XRD, XPS, SEM)
- Gas phase analysis of reaction products (GC, MS, FTIR)
- Preparation of scientific papers and conference communications.
- Supervision of bachelor and master students.
- Contribution to the scientific and collaborative research environment at DIFFER.
We are looking for a qualified and motivated candidate that meets the following requirements:
- PhD in electrochemistry or physical chemistry or chemical engineering or material science.
- Practical experience in the areas of electrocatalysis, solid oxide electrolysis or polymeric membrane fuel cells or electrolysers
- Strong communication skills and attitude to participate successfully in multidisciplinary projects
- Ability to work well individually and as a team member
- Good communication skills in English (both written and spoken)
Our institute offers a first class and international research environment with various interdisciplinary but related research topics and projects. You will be employed by the NWO institute Foundation for a fixed period of two years. Your salary will be up to a maximum of 4,452 euro gross per month, depending on your level of experience. The salary is supplemented with a holiday allowance of 8 percent and an end-of-year bonus of 8.33 percent. NWO and DIFFER have number of regulations that support employees in finding a good work-life balance. Such as conditions for teleworking, partly paid parental leave and the possibility to purchase and sell holiday leave. The position will be based at DIFFER (www.differ.nl) and the working location will be at TU Eindhoven. General information on working at NWO can also be found at the NWO website: https://www.nwo-i.nl/en/working-at-nwo-i/jobsatnwoi/
The 'NWO job interview code' applies to this position. DIFFER strives to achieve a diverse workforce to develop talent and creativity by bringing together different perspectives. As such we encourage applications from women and minorities. See also our working at DIFFER web page:https://www.differ.nl/working-at Further information on the vacancy is available through, Dr M. Tsampas, e-mail: m  tsampas  differ  nl and CEPEA website www.differ.nl/research/cepea.
In case you are interested you can apply by electronically submitting an application letter and a full curriculum vitae to vacancies  differ  nl. In the subject of your email please specify the vacancy number (21.003) and use the following format for your application letter and CV:
Go to the Vacancies page.