The Magnum-PSI facilities are open for external users. Access involves the use of the facility and the use of most of the available auxiliary equipment under supervision and with support of the local scientific and technical staff. If you are interested in carrying out experiments with Magnum-PSI, the first step is to determine whether Magnum-PSI’s main parameters are suitable for your experiment. If you are not sure, please contact Thomas Morgan, Ivo Classen or Hans van Eck by e-mail. You can also combine Magnum-PSI with ion beam analysis.
Application for access
In order to obtain access to Magnum-PSI, a research proposal must be submitted using the form below (if you plan using Magnum-PSI in conjunction with ion beam analysis, please also fill out this form). A Scientific Program Committee reviews and selects the submitted proposals once a week. Shortly after submitting the proposal form you will receive an e-mail confirmation of receipt. Subsequently, we will evaluate your proposal and contact you if further information is needed to complete the proposal.
This process is evaluated two times per year by an international Steering Board.
The complete proposal will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria:
- Scientific excellence
- Motivation: research question
- Novelty and relation to existing literature (please include references)
- Expected outcome
- Necessity of use of Magnum-PSI
- Technical soundness
- Description of the proposed experiment
- Description of required diagnostics and expertise
- Description of any preliminary tests already done or required
- Description of planned post-mortem analysis
- Description of any special requirements/equipment and/or components which require preparation or manufacture
- Clarification of any hazards or special handling requirements related to the samples to be studied
- Alignment with the DIFFER research program
The DIFFER research program is centered around the following topics
- Understanding and control of plasma exhaust in a fusion power plant
- Materials research and engineering under extreme conditions
- Exploiting extreme conditions for novel materials processing
The applicant will be informed as soon as possible on the outcome, including a motivation and/or a suggestion to adapt the proposal. Hereafter, the successful applicant is invited to present their experimental plan within the Magnum-PSI planning meeting to inform our staff about the upcoming program and to give them the possibility to contribute their expertise to realizing a successful experiment. At this stage an experiment plan is filled out including a detailed experimental approach (shot plan), description of the samples you would like to expose and the required plasma conditions.
Subject to the specifics of your proposal there can be costs involved for use of consumables (e.g. expensive gases, materials, surface analysis and characterization, ion beam analysis) and/or personnel cost of staff. After review of your proposal, we will inform you on possible costs.
All users, both in-house scientists and external researchers, should provide DIFFER with a short technical and scientific report describing the outcome of the experiments within six months after completion of their experiments. The reports are requested to demonstrate scientific output and to justify the use of the Magnum-PSI facility. You are also invited to give a presentation on your results in our Scientific Meeting within three months after completion of your experiment.
All publications resulting from experiments carried out at Magnum-PSI should go through internal review before submission and use the following acknowledgement phrases:
- We acknowledge the support of the Magnum-PSI Facility Team at DIFFER. The Magnum-PSI facility at DIFFER has been funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) and EURATOM. The views and opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of the European Commission.
In case the work has been carried out within the EUROfusion programme 2021-2025, the following acknowledgement phrases should be used:
- We acknowledge the support of the Magnum-PSI Facility Team at DIFFER. DIFFER is part of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research-Institutes (NWO-I). This work has been carried out within the framework of the EUROfusion Consortium, funded by the European Union via the Euratom Research and Training Programme (Grant Agreement No 101052200 - EUROfusion). Views and opinions expressed are however those of the author(s) only and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union or the European Commission. Neither the European Union nor the Euopean Commission can be held responsible for them.