The Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research (DIFFER) performs leading fundamental research on materials, processes, and systems for a global sustainable energy infrastructure. We work in close partnership with (inter)national academia and industry. Our user facilities are open to industry and university researchers. As an institute of the Dutch Research Council (NWO) DIFFER plays a key role in fundamental research for the energy transition.
We use a multidisciplinary approach applicable on two key areas, solar fuels for the conversion and storage of renewable energy and nuclear fusion – as a clean source of energy.
DIFFER is looking for a lab technician
What are you going to do?
As a lab technician you will oversee the design and operation of advanced chemical laboratories and equipment. You will be part of an international and diverse team of scientific staff and other technical staff. You are challenged to find creative solutions to advance scientific research at a world leading level and guard the lab safety.
Tasks & responsibilities:
• Support scientific staff to design, assemble, test, improve and operate research infrastructure and set-ups in the field of (predominantly inorganic) chemistry and catalysis.
• Oversee usage, operation and maintenance of instruments. Instruct new users. Contact suppliers for maintenance and in case of defective equipment, order consumables and instrument parts and oversee assembly thereof.
• Advise in the purchase of new research equipment.
• Assess existing and suggest additional safety measures in the laboratory, including the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), guidelines for the use of new and existing set-ups, handling of (hazardous) chemicals and waste.
• Instruct PhD- and undergraduate students on laboratory work processes and a safe working environment, e.g., in the conduction of Risk Indication and Evaluation (RI&E) and standard operating protocols (SOPs).
• Introduce new team members to lab (safety) procedures.
• Actively participate in meetings on infrastructure, organization and/or safety.
• Oversee the registration and storage of chemicals and samples. Advise on orders of chemicals by scientific staff.
Position and requirements
• Degree (HBO) in chemical engineering or chemistry (thus having profound knowledge of chemistry and chemicals)
• A strong commitment to safety and the safety of others
• Real team-player with excellent interpersonal skills
• Proficient in English
• Problem solving mentality; proactive
• Enjoys working in a dynamic working environment
• Preferred but not required:
o competent with computers (Microsoft Office).
o experience with vacuum, deposition techniques, and characterization of thin films.
o has followed/willing to follow Basic First Aid Course.
Terms and conditions
This position is for 0,8 - 1 FTE, will be for a period of 2 years with possible permanent contract at proven suitability and is graded in pay scale 8. The position will be based at DIFFER (www.differ.nl) and the working location will be at TU Eindhoven. When fulfilling a position at DIFFER, you will have an employee status at NWO. You can participate in all the employee benefits NWO offers. We have a number of regulations that support employees in finding a good work-life balance. At DIFFER we believe that a workforce diverse in gender, age and cultural background is key to performing excellent research. We therefore strongly encourage everyone to apply. More information on working at NWO can be found at the NWO website (https://www.nwo-i.nl/en/working-at-nwo-i/jobsatnwoi/)
Information and application
For more information concerning the position please contact Hans van Eck via h  j  n  vaneck  differ  nl. To apply for this position, please click the button underneath:
Go to the Vacancies page.