The Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research (DIFFER) performs leading fundamental research on materials, processes, and systems for a global sustainable energy infrastructure. We work in close partnership with (inter)national academia and industry. Our user facilities are open to industry and university researchers. As an institute of the Dutch Research Council (NWO) DIFFER plays a key role in fundamental research for the energy transition.
We use a multidisciplinary approach applicable on two key areas, solar fuels for the conversion and storage of renewable energy and nuclear fusion – as a clean source of energy.
DIFFER is looking for a Postdoc in Plasma turbulence modeling (x/f/m)
Fusion plasmas exhibit instabilities at multiple spatio-temporal scales, and thorough understanding of cross-scale coupling is still lacking. To this end, we will perform multi-scale gyrokinetic simulations incorporating both large-scale tearing modes and small-scale turbulence, with a particular focus on how magnetic reconnection affects plasma dynamics. Relatedly, we will investigate magnetic reconnection in the tokamak pedestal, where we will deploy and seek to verify a reduced-order model for microtearing transport in comparison with gyrokinetic simulations. Both activities will be embedded in international efforts organized by EUROfusion
Position and requirements
- conduct and analyze linear and nonlinear global gyrokinetic simulations at the MHD scale and microscale
- if necessary, upgrade the gyrokinetic turbulence code GENE to ensure good numerical properties and applicability to experiment
- conduct analytical and numerical work with a reduced microtearing model and compare to high-fidelity simulations Required background:
- experience in using gyrokinetic codes for turbulence studies
- experience in working with reduced instability or transport models
- knowledge of tearing and microturbulence physics Optional background:
- experience with global gyrokinetic simulations
- experience working on microtearing modes
- understanding of H-mode pedestal physics
Terms and conditions
This position is for 1 FTE, will be for a period of 2 years and is graded in pay scale 10. The position will be based at DIFFER (www.differ.nl) and the working location will be at TU Eindhoven. When fulfilling a position at DIFFER, you will have an employee status at NWO. You can participate in all the employee benefits NWO offers. We have a number of regulations that support employees in finding a good work-life balance. At DIFFER we believe that a workforce diverse in gender, age and cultural background is key to performing excellent research. We therefore strongly encourage everyone to apply. More information on working at NWO can be found at the NWO website (https://www.nwo-i.nl/en/working-at-nwo-i/jobsatnwoi/)
Information and application
For more information concerning the position please contact MJ Pueschel via m  j  pueschel  differ  nl (m[dot]j[dot]pueschel[at]differ[dot]nl). To apply for this position, please click the button underneath:
Go to the Vacancies page.